Car rental faqs

What types of rental cars and vehicles does Crown Rentals offer?
Crown Rental’s large diverse fleet has a model to suit your needs. For holiday or business travel, our great passenger cars include small 5 doors automatic, medium 5 doors automatic SUV and large automatic SUV. We also offer 7 and 8 seat automatic people movers . For big groups, our mini buses and buses range from 12 seat automatic to 29 seat automatic. Crown Rentals also carries a wide range of commercial vehicles including Utes, double cabin Utes, trucks and vans to help you get the job done.
Does Crown Rentals have buses for us to hire and drive ourselves?
Yes, we offer self-drive buses that seat up to 31 passengers plus driver.
What size bus can I drive with my normal licence?
A 12 seater bus is the maximum sized bus that you are permitted to drive on a standard driver’s licence.
What licence is required to drive a bus that carries more than 12 passengers?
A heavy vehicle driver’s licence starting from “light rigid” is required to drive any bus with a passenger capacity greater than 12 seats.
Can Crown Rentals provide a driver for the bus?
No, Crown Rentals is a registered bus operator by the department of transport to offer ONLY self drive service. However our sister company Crown Bus Charter is an accredited bus operator by the Department of transport offering a charter service whereby both bus and driver are provided for your journey. You can contact them on 1300255287 or visit
Can we tow trailers with your buses?
Yes, all our buses come with tow-bars.
Do you have luggage trailers for hire?
Yes, our luggage trailers come in two sizes: 6×4×4 feet and 8×5×4 feet
To drive a truck, do I need a special driver’s licence?
All our truck rentals can be driven with a standard driver’s licence.
What licence do you accept?
We accept full current Australian and overseas licences.
Can I rent a car with an International Driver’s Licence?
If you have a valid International Drivers Licence or a Licence which is in English then you are able to drive in Australia. You are unable to drive in Australia if your Driver’s licence is in another language other than English. Your international drivers licence must include a photo of yourself and you will be required to present your passport with your licence. Drivers with an overseas licence must provide their country licence, international licence and passport.
Does Crown Rentals offer long-term rentals?
Yes, we specialize in long term car rental for corporate/business clients and members. To enquire about long-term rentals, please email or speak to one of our consultants on 1300 22 78 78
What is the minimum age of drivers?
Drivers 21 years or older are welcome to hire our vehicles. (Note: drivers between the ages of 21 to 25 must pay a surcharge)
How many drivers can drive the rented vehicle? Is there an additional charge if there will be more than one driver?
Any number of drivers can drive, however additional drivers licence details must be given to Crown rentals also must meet minimum age requirements. There are no charges for the first additional driver and $3.30 for any extra driver.
Can I hire extra items such as, baby seats, GPS, snow chains etc online?
Yes, all extra items can be selected at the Quote stage of your online booking.
Can I hire moving accessories?
Yes. Crown Rentals has moving accessories available such as trolleys and packing blankets. These can be hired at an additional cost.
Does Crown Rentals offer one-way rentals?
No, the hirer needs to return the vehicle to one of our Melbourne locations.
If I want to pick up a car at one location and drop it off at another, does it cost more?
Crown Rentals may charge renters an extra drop-off fee for cars picked up at one location and returned to another.
What happens if I drive the vehicle on a Tollway?
Please view this document to ensure you understand all charges related to driving on Tollways
Can I drive the car outside the state/territory?
For driving outside of the state/territory in which you collected the car from, you must inform the office at the location you are renting from. Extra charges will apply.
Can we take any vehicle to the snow?
You can drive up to a 12 seater mini bus to the snow. Snow chains must be on board. All vehicles over a 12-seater bus requires a heavy vehicle driver licence and a hazardous licence as well.
Does Crown Rentals hire per 24 hour day?
Most car rental rates are based on a 24-hour clock, so if you hired a car for a one day period at 10:00am, you would be required to return it by 10:00am the following day. Commercial vehicles are per calendar day unless agreed otherwise.
What do I need to bring with me to the counter to rent a car?
You need to be present and provide a valid driver’s licence and your credit card.
Can someone other than the driver provide his/her credit card details?
Yes, the credit card owner needs to be with the driver at the time of pick-up and he/she will be a joint hirer for the vehicle.
What is the credit card fee?
A credit card fee is charged on all transactions made via Master, Visa, AMEX or Diners. (condition apply)
What is a security bond i have to pay?
A security bond is a pre-authorisation to your credit card when you collect your vehicle that is used as a form of protection by Crown Rentals whilst you are renting a vehicle. Provided the vehicle is returned undamaged and no additional charges apply (e.g. fuel), the pre-authorisation is cancelled.
How much payment is required on vehicle pick-up?
Full rental fees are payable at time of pick-up.
How do I pay for the rental?
We accept all major credit cards, money transfers and cheques* as well as cash transactions.
*condition applies
Can I check car hire rates online without making a reservation?
Yes, to receive an instant quote, complete the “Get A Quote” section at the bottom of this page. You may receive as many quotes as you like. Once you are satisfied with the quote, proceed to the booking stage by completing your personal contact details and click “Make A Booking”
How will I know my car hire reservation is confirmed?
Within 24 hours from your booking request, a Crown Rentals representative will contact you via email or phone to confirm your booking.
Is it possible to cancel or modify my car hire reservation once it is confirmed?
Yes, please email or speak to one of our consultants on 1300 22 78 78.
Does Crown Rentals charge cancellation Fees?
Crown rentals reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee if required.
What happens if I return the vehicle late?
If the car or commercial vehicle is returned greater than 3 hours late a full day rental is applied.
Can I extend the car rental duration and how?
Extending the car rental duration is possible at 24 hours before the current hire expire. You will need to call or come in person to the nearest location. The extension is subject to vehicle availability and extra payment.
Can I return the rental vehicle outside the location operating hours?
Yes, you may return your vehicle when the Crown rentals office is closed. The vehicle will remain your responsibility until it has been checked by a Crown Rentals representative.
If I return my vehicle and am due a refund, when will I receive the money?
The time taken for issuing refunds varies depending on the initial method of payment to Crown Rentals. Credit Card, EFTPOS and Cash Payments: Any refunds due to a customer where the rental was paid for by one of these will be processed on return after the rental agreement has been closed. Cheque Payments: Any refunds due on a rental agreement where the form of payment was by Cheque will be refunded in cheques form. Please note this can take up to 5 working days.
What should I do if I have an accident?
First contact 000 if medical or police assistance is required. Secondly, complete the accident report that you received when you took the vehicle and immediately contact the Crown Rentals Office where the car was rented from.
What does happen if the vehicle breaks down?
Most of our vehicles are covered 24hours, 7days a week with RACV roadside assistance. Check your contract for a phone number or ring Crown Rentals 1300 22 78 78
If I lock my keys in the vehicle am I covered by Road Side Assistance?
No, Roadside Assistance does not cover non-mechanical defects such as, lost keys, keys locked in the vehicle, flat battery due to lights being left on etc.
Do I need to pay for the fuel we use?
When you hire and drive (Self drive) then you will receive the vehicle full of fuel. You are therefore expected to return it with a full tank of fuel. When we provide you with charter service, we are responsible for the fuel cost.
What if I returned the vehicle without a full tank of fuel?
Your vehicle is provided with a full tank of fuel, expecting you to return it full of fuel. We provide you with Refuelling Service options to replace the fuel you use on your rental. This service allows you to return your vehicle with less fuel than when you picked it up. The price to refuel the vehicle plus administration fee will be charged to your account.